Saturday, October 20, 2007

Seriously Finnish

I've enrolled in a Finnish Language Course, this time for real. It will start in February, and I hope it will help me reach higher level, namely B1 of the classification sent by Tuija.

Listening: I can understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. I can understand the main point of many radio or TV programmes on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest when the delivery is relatively slow and clear.

Reading: I can understand texts that consist mainly of high frequency everyday or job-related language. I can understand the description of events, feelings and wishes in personal letters.

Spoken Interaction: I can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. I can enter unprepared into conversation on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. family, hobbies, work, travel and current events).

Spoken production: I can connect phrases in a simple way in order to describe experiences and events, my dreams, hopes and ambitions. I can briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans. I can narrate a story or relate the plot of a book or film and describe my reactions.

Writing: I can write simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. I can write personal letters describing experiences and impressions.

I realize I need a lot of practice to reach this goal. For now my blogger interface is in Finnish and I have learned a lot of useful phrases, like: Luo, Tallenna nyt, Muokkaa etc. Every day I should spend some time doing something related to Finnish. Listening to Finnish rock does not count!



No comments: